A Farewell

As I write this post, I'm on a plane heading back to NY.
I spent the weekend in Florida attending the funeral of my beautiful cousin. 
She was shot and killed by a family friend two weeks before her 20th birthday. A tragedy that has left so many lives deeply affected and irreparably broken. 

As I sat in the thanksgiving service hearing about her life and seeing images of her always smiling face flash across the monitor, I couldn't help but think of my own mortality. I guess funerals are always a time of reflection about the fleeting nature of life. Everyone spoke of her beautiful spirit, her passion for life and her determination. That is the lasting impression she has left on this earth. 
I began thinking about the legacy I would be leaving behind when my time to leave this earth came. I wondered what my biography would be, and it made me realize that I need to ensure that I'm living a life that positively impacts those I come into contact with every single day, in the same way my cousin did.

In honor of my cousin,  I pledge to live my life in such a way that will always make others happy.


Rest in Peace Janel