A Taste of Malaysia


The final destination on my SE Asia adventure was Malaysia. I spent three days there and it simply was not enough time to explore this beautiful country.
I'm already planning to go back next year because I didn't see as much as would have liked.
I visited my friend Rich in Kuala Terengganu which is on the east coast of Malaysia, an hour by plane from from Kuala Lumpur.

Kuala Terengganu isn't your typical tourist spot, especially when compared to Kuala Lumpur. It's really low key with no night life but a visit there is one you won't regret. I love going to places where I can get a real sense of how the local people live. That's one of my biggest motivation for traveling.

Most visitors to KT go to Redang Island but Rich suggested we go to Pulau Kapas instead which has less tourists and is closer to his home.

We made our way to the island by way of a twenty minute boat ride from Marang Jetty.
As we pulled up to shore I was amazed by the clearness of water. I could see all the way to the bottom.

The island was almost deserted, there were a few folks who were staying on island at one of the few hotels.
The farther we walked away from the hotels the less people we encountered and we were able to find a patch of beach just for us. It was perfect and we spend a few hours enjoying the water.

















The water was so clear we could see the fishes swimming all around us.

After getting our fill of swimming we headed back to town to visit some of the popular sites. My favorite being the Crystal Mosque.
How gorgeous is it?
Crystal Mosque



We also stopped by to see the Floating Mosque which is the first mosque to be built in the sea in Malaysia. It isn't actually floating because it was  built on stilts and pilings but still looks cool.
Floating Mosque


After leaving KT, I flew back to Kuala Lumpur for my flight to NY. I had one day to see the city but all I managed  to see the was Petronas Towers. While walking around the city there was a torrential downpour and as much as I tried to fight going back to my hotel, I had to admit defeat.

Thankfully I managed to get a picture by the towers which is super beautiful at nights.




This little trip was but a taste of what Malaysia has to offer. There are markets and rain forests and beaches to explore.
I am definitely looking forward to going back.